Sussex County conservation poster contest winners recognized
Georgetown, Del., Nov. 18, 2022 – Sussex Conservation District (SCD) recently recognized winners of the annual conservation poster contest. Posters were judged on the 2022 theme, “Healthy Soil: Healthy Life.” SCD received 116 entries across five grade categories; over 90 entries were received in the 4-6 grade category. Digital posters were accepted in grade categories 7-9 and 10-12. First place posters at the county level advance to the state level; state level winners advance to the national competition.
The 2022 Conservation Poster Contest winners from Sussex County are:
Grades K -1
First place, Israel Adams, homeschool
First place, Claira Adams, homeschool
Second place, Bryleigh Denham, Epworth Christian School
Third place, Mia Kernoodle, Epworth Christian School
First place, Estrella Nunez Perez, North Georgetown Elementary
Second place, Briahna Adams, homeschool
Third place (tie), Emily Morris, Epworth Christian School
Third place (tie), Aubrey Green, Long Neck Elementary
First place, Brooke Elliott, Sussex Technical High School
Second place, Ashlyn Elliott, Sussex Technical High School
Grades 10-12 Digital
First place, Rebekah Cullen, Sussex Technical High School
Second place, Gavin Blankenship, Sussex Technical High School
1) EPWORTH - The 2022 Conservation Poster Contest winners from Epworth Christian School pictured with Clint Moore, principal, from left, Emily Morris (third place tie, Grades 4-6), Bryleigh Denham (second place, Grades 2-3), and Mia Kernoodle (third place, Grades 2-3).
2) HOMESCHOOL - Three homeschooled students and Harbor Lights 4-H Club members from the Adams family of Milford placed in the 2022 Conservation Poster Contest. Pictured, from left, Claira Adams (first place, Grades 2-3), Briahna Adams (second place, Grades 4-6), Sharea Adams, mom, and Israel Adams (first place, Grades K-1).
3) LONG NECK ELEMENTARY - Long Neck Elementary Principal Kathleen Wilson, left, and fifth grade teacher Jennifer Friscia, right, congratulate Aubrey Green who tied for third place in Grades 4-6 in the 2022 Conservation Poster Contest.
4) NORTH GEORGETOWN ELEMENTARY - Corey Dietrich, left, North Georgetown Elementary assistant principal, congratulates Estrella Nunez Perez who placed first in Grades 4-6 in the 2022 Conservation Poster Contest.
5) SUSSEX TECH 4-H - The 2022 Conservation Poster Contest winners in Grades 10-12 from Sussex Technical High School and the Clover Knights 4-H Club, from left, Brooke Elliott (first place) and Ashlyn Elliott (second place).
6) SUSSEX TECH DIGITAL - Sussex Technical High School digital publishing students swept the digital category of the 2022 Conservation Poster Contest for Grades 10-12. Pictured, from left, Kelli Gehrke, digital publishing instructor Rebekah Cullen (first place), Gavin Blankenship (second place), Dr. Kevin Carson, superintendent and Dr. Holly Langley, assistant principal.